The S.S. Raghavendra Rao Primary School, situated in
Parthasarathy Swamy Street, Triplicane, Chennai, was
established in the year 1914 and is recognized by the
Government of Tamil Nadu, India. This school has been
functioning in the present building site since 1920.
The Mahratta Education Fund took over the management
of the school in 1934 from its owner and Head Master
Shri. S.S. Raghavendra Rao and the school was functioning
on a fee levying basis. Now it is aided by the Government
of Tamil Nadu and no fee is collected.
From a modest strength of 176 students and six teachers,
the present strength is nearly 400 Students and 11 teachers
including the Head Master. The students come from poor
and lower middle class background and a large number
of them are from backward community.
The land with the dilapidated building was acquired
by MEF in the year 2000 with the help of Government
of Tamil Nadu. The financial aspect to acquire the property
was possible through the timely help of the members
by donations and interest free loans. We need to mention
the help of Government of Maharastra for their contribution
In the year 2002 the Government of Japan through their
Gross route project scheme donated Rs.28 Lacs to construct
a pacca building consisting of 10 class rooms with all
required facilities, our purposeful thanks to the people
Subsequently all the loans were cleared and the MEF
manages the school and happy to mention that the S.S.
Raghavendra Rao School is one of the model School in